Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Confession: It really is good for the soul!

Why is it difficult to confess when we do what we shouldn't, or don't do what we should? Sometimes even very young children are adept deceivers, manipulators and connivers--just ask a school teacher.

When we learn at an early age that we can spin, stretch or conceal the truth just enough to stay out of trouble, patterns may develop that do serious harm later.

King David learned this lesson the hard way after his sin with Bathsheba. The Psalms he wrote that are today's scriptures (Psalm 32, 51, 86, and 122)remind us that it is a beautiful thing to come clean with God by confessing and turning from the things we've done that are wrong.

If you feel that God is not hearing your prayers--or you are experiencing a sense of a loss of intimacy in your spiritual life--ask yourself if there is ANY unconfessed sin that could be hindering your relationship with the Father.

Each of these chapters is inspiring to read, but listen to David's words from Psalm 51 as you consider the importance of confession and repentance:

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.
3 For I recognize my rebellion;
it haunts me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
7 Purify me from my sins,and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
and they will return to you.


There really is joy in the journey when we are confessed and clean!

No comments: