Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fat Cow? Wow!

I do not imagine that any woman of any era would  appreciate being called a "fat cow," but that's exactly what the prophet Amos called the indulgent women of Israel as he spoke for God within the first five chapters of the book named after him.

The pages of these scripture passages paint a portrait of a people who reeked with the odor of ungodly behavior, and this herdsman turned prophet, Mr. Amos, spoke clearly (and bluntly) in an attempt to warn them to wake up before it was too late.

So what were the transgressions of these fat cows?  They oppressed the poor and crushed the needy--either directly, or maybe scarier--indirectly.  Their incessant whining and pining for more "stuff" apparently drove their husbands to commit great injustices in order to satisfy them, and God was angry.

I ask myself, am I guilty of the same?  I loathe the idea of being a "fat cow," and yet I know I'm prone to plod the path that leads to that putrified pasture.

My husband and I recently discussed at length the fact that very few people--even Christians--seem to be satisfied with just having their needs met any more.  We are a consuming lot, always wanting better, newer, nicer, and while I will not suggest that this is 100% wrong all of the time, I will propose that what might be more in line with what is God pleasing and God honoring is establishing a "this much is enough" plan so that when and if we are blessed beyond the "enough" mark, the rest can be given to help those who need it.

Everything that Amos prophesied regarding the judgments awaiting those who ignored his warnings happened, some of it in as little as thirty years.  Merciful God gave them plenty of time to repent, but they didn't.

Today, I think the cow bell's alarm is sounding loud and clear--but will we listen?  Am I listening?  I hope I am not just listening but learning and heeding--because I never--EVER--want to be a fat cow in God's eyes.

Father, help me appreciate "enough" and be faithful to share the extra.  Please help Your economy be mine--and vice versa, in Jesus' Name, amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My wallet's too small for my fifties and my diamond shoes are too tight!" -Chandler on Friends

I thought that quote was appropriate! Great post!

jack69 said...

Just sliding thru, good blog but dat is the fattest Cow I ever did see.
Woudl never compare mySherry to that!
God Bless.

Cintia said...

Oh my,
Is it for real?
I just can't believe it.

ash said...

Wonderful post...I think about this so often!! It's amazing how tough it is to pull in the reigns on this sort of behavior, even though I know it's not the way I want to be...does that make sense? Thanks for giving me something to think about this morning : )

Sharon Newhardt said...

It's so true that a picture is worth a thousand words. Got my attention! Great blog and that is one fat cow.