Monday, March 2, 2009

New Fallen Snow


The ground outside is covered with new fallen snow, the result of trillions of gloriously large flakes that fell last night, creating a view from my window that looks like a Currier and Ives print. From inside my office, I'm staring at a picturesque winter wonderland.

Just after breakfast, I bundled Ava in her warmest and most snow-worthy attire while Leslie dressed Lilia. We ventured out into the yard to investigate the icy white blanket that covered everything and weighed down even the largest tree limbs. Seeing something beautiful through the eyes of a child who is experiencing it for the first time is captivating. I was reminded in the process though, that I take many amazing things for granted. I also realize that I've lost the innocence and awe of a child--one of the primary priorities we're challenged with when we come to Christ in faith.

To Ava, it didn't matter how the snow came, where it came from, or when it might leave. What was important, was that it was here. Right now. And it was to be enjoyed and celebrated.

Deuteronomy chapters 24 through 29 include the verses I read today in preparation for writing about my historical scripture journey, and again, some of these passages were difficult to read. The things that mattered to God in the establishment of the Old Covenant were all recorded so that we could know how very serious he is about his children avoiding the temptation to walk, talk, and look like the rest of the world when the rest of the world isn't behaving according to his standards.

In chapter 29, Moses explains what we are accountable for:

29 “The Lord our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them, but we and our children are accountable forever for all that he has revealed to us, so that we may obey all the terms of these instructions.

God doesn't hold me responsible for what I have no way of knowing, but what he has revealed really matters. Yet often, I've taken his grace for granted in a manner not unlike the way I viewed the snow today--it came, it will go, no big deal.

Once again, I'm left with the realization that I'd be in a real mess if not for God's New Covenant of grace through Jesus Christ. It is a beautiful blessing to be cherished, rejoiced in, celebrated, and in awe of--in a way, much like my little granddaughter's first encounter with snow.

Psalm 51:7 Purify me from my sins,and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.


Thank you Father for your loving forgiveness that I often fail to appreciate with proper awe and amazement. I am so grateful and unworthy, but I praise you for erasing the stain of my disobedience and making me whiter than snow.

No comments: